Thursday, January 26, 2012

Something's Rotten in My Audition

Now that I'm back in town from the tropics, for the first time in a long time, I've got the time to spend working on auditions. In fact, in a little over a week, I'll have my first one in months. The Shakespeare Forum is putting up their first ever production: Hamlet.

Is it a sign of my generation that I want to put a hashtag on everything? Because ending that last paragraph with #ambitiousmuch? would be just about perfect.

Hamlet and Ophelia have been cast. But that leaves a couple roles I'd want wide open for the taking. I watched David Tennant's Hamlet (see above) to get a grasp of characters and to try to jog my memory of what monologues work best for two targets: Horatio, and Laertes. I think I've got a better shot at Horatio, given what I know about my competition, and anyway the character actually appeals to me a bit more. Though it's a close call.

Speaking of competition, I know I have a lot of it. The good thing is that I'm friends with the director and precast leads. Unfortunately so is almost everyone else who's auditioning. This is going to be an odd social experience for everyone involved.

In the meantime I'll be taking care of the Appalachian Trail thing, a sizzle reel another friend just asked me to submit to, and running out the door to save a student's chemistry grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment