Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First foray into TVland

I'm back from Chicago! Just was out for the weekend to spend time with friends and family, something I don't get to do nearly often enough.

So, back in New York, after doing a lot of other things, I met yesterday with a producer looking to pitch new TV shows. I haven't been keeping it a secret that I might want to try my hand at hosting a travel show some day. I've got the degree in international studies, the experience filming travel, and 65+ countries under my belt, so I'm all kinds of qualified. So I teamed up with my buddy who's got travel chops and a lot more organizational skills than I have, and we're trying to make something happen. But we've been searching for an angle.

My immediate idea was to try to film something aimed at the 18-39 year old demographic, a younger crowd that is more interested in trying to backpack to lots of different countries rather than stay in a resort in one spot. Word is though, that we need more character driven stuff and that instructional shows are definitely out right now as far as the networks are thinking. So we need something with a little excitement to it. Some suspense. Something leaving people wondering 'what if.' And unlike Anthony Bourdain, neither I nor anyone I'm working with has a bestselling book out to justify someone just wanting to follow us around the world with a camera.

I've got some ideas, we'll release them as they develop.

It's kind of funny jumping into TV stuff on one end of production while I'm only just now starting to dip a toe into the other end almost everybody else tries on: enjoying. I don't have a TV, but I might be shopping for one soon. With last month's paycheck, I think I can finally afford one, so I'm waiting for the holiday price drop after thanksgiving. There are perks to living just a few blocks from Costco, Best Buy, and Target.

But in the meantime, I have a novel to write, and 8.5 hours of tutoring to do today. Also some web design if I can hear back from tech support on why my boss's server isn't letting me log in. Back to the grind!

No comments:

Post a Comment