Saturday, March 26, 2011

Working When You Aren't Really Working

I don't like sitting around doing nothing.

Not that that's what I'm doing. I'm working two part time jobs, both of which are ramping up the demands, but it feels like it's been a while since I was last actually acting.

But acting is what I came to New York to do. So that's what I'm aiming for.

When I played on the basketball team for high school, back in the fall before tryouts, I'd spend some time just about every day in the local community center gym practicing drills over and over again by myself. I'd make varsity, but I spent all season on the bench.

The reason is that while I practiced drills all by myself, my teammates were practicing with each other, actually playing games of basketball. I got good at layups. They got good at they real game.

I don't make the same mistake twice if I can help it. So instead of practicing acting all by myself, I've teamed up with a friend. Instead of waiting for someone to cast us in something, we're doing a scene together from Henry VI, part one. Suffolk meeting Margaret. We present it for the good folks at the Shakespeare Forum this coming Tuesday.

It feels good to be doing some Shakespeare scenes again, even if it's just in a friend's apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment