Saturday, September 18, 2010

And We're Back.

I flew out of LaGuardia last Friday to go to Philadelphia, then to Seattle, where I was witness to a chunk of the following chain of events:

Monday (Labor Day): my 72-year-old father is T-boned by a man running a red light. The man was arguing with father-in-law at the time, possibly on his cell phone. We're not sure. What we are sure of is that due to the crash my father has a compound fracture in a vertebrae, and has also broken seven ribs, his sternum, his scapula, and one of his toes.

Friday: my father, is diagnosed with serious pulmonary embolism, and nearly dies. I buy a plane ticket to Seattle.

Saturday: I meet my father in the ICU, where he is on an IV and a mask hooked up to pure oxygen.

Monday: My father is moved from the ICU to the acute care floor.

Wednesday: My father is discharged from the hospital altogether. We drive him home.

Thursday: My father asks to be driven to his office so that he can drop off the coffee he's supposed to drop off every week, and then to the Ford, Nissan, and Toyota dealerships so that he can test drive replacements for his totaled car. We make it to the office and the Ford dealership, where he test drives a hybrid.

Friday: I fly back to New York City. My father buys the Ford hybrid.

All I can say is that I hope I'm that tough when I get to be his age. Thank you very much to all those who called and sent emails, Facebook and text messages. Even if I wasn't able to reply to everyone, we all appreciate it very much.

In the meantime, I'm back, and I'll have more stories from my adventures in the Big Apple soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment